Cahaba Heights United Methodist Church
3139 Cahaba Heights Road
Birmingham, AL 35243
CAHABA HEIGHTS UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Founded in 1879
In the summer of 1879, the first organized congregation of Methodist
Protestant met in the village of Merkel for worship. The name chosen
for this church was New Hope and it was the beginning of our church family.
As the community grew, the need for a larger building was met with a two
story structure that was used for the church, a community public school
and a lodge hall.
Fire of 1904
Unfortunately. this building was destroyed by fire in 1904.
Four years later, in 1908, a new structure was built on our present location
with a parsonage added in 1909. Several annual conferences were held
at New Merkel during the years of 1910 - 1934.
Fire of 1928
Another disastrous fire occurred in 1928 which destroyed the parsonage
and most of the church records. Immediately the parsonage was rebuilt
and the congregation continued to grow. In 1939, the Methodist Church,
a unified body, was formed from three branches of Methodism.
1955 Name Change
The name was changed from New Merkel to Cahaba Heights in 1955.
In May, 1959, the first worship service was held in the newly constructed
sanctuary, much of which was built by members of our congregation. Our
Centennial Celebration was held in September, 1979. In 1990,
the sanctuary was totally remodeled into the present sanctuary.
End of the 1900's Land Acquisitions
In 1987, and at the end of 1998 and at the beginning of January of
1999, Cahaba Heights United Methodist Church acquired a total of three
additional lots situated on Oakview Lane in order to meet the church's
growing needs for parking and future expansion. The church family has continued
to grow in number, faith and many outreach ministries that offer opportunities
For information relating to the CHUM
STANDPIPE CEMETERY, please contact the church office (205) 967-0470
or Mr. Jack Brasher.
Return to Home Page
If you have any questions concerning
Heights United Methodist Church or its programs,
feel free to give
us a call at (205) 967-0470 or send us an email.
The Prayer Chapel is open 24 hours a day, every day, located next to the tower in front of the church!